Kumpulan Barkath traces its origin back to 1940 when a visionary entrepreneur, the late Haji Abu Backer Bin Mohd Hussain, founded a sundry shop called Barkath Stores in Union Street, Penang. “Barkath” means “Blessed” in Arabic. Later the sundry shop housed its goods of retail Super Stores in 6 cities.
Once the shop was established, Haji Abu Backer expanded the business to manufacture Hacks – brand which has a special place in the history of the Group.
In the mid 1960's, Haji Abu Backer, an enterprise man with great foresight, obtained manufacturing rights from the original makers of Hacks sweets from England and set up a manufacturing base in Mak Mandin, Penang. In 1965 Haji Abu Backer negotiated with Denmark for license to produce locally.